Friday, December 9, 2011

Dave, Dad, and Honey

Last night, Miles and I were talking about names. I asked him if he knew "dad's" name and he said, "Dave, Dad, and Honey." Cute.

Dave has been pretty busy the past few years. In a nut shell, if he hasn't been at school he's been at work. If he hasn't been at one of those he's been at a library working on homework. I feel like I've been seeing a ton of him lately because he's been home most nights before Miles goes to bed! Hot dog! There have been many times in the past couple years where Dave would literally go days without seeing Miles. He'd be up and out before Miles was up and roll in at 10, 11 or 12 at night. There have been many a time that I've felt a bit like a single parent, but not a day goes by that I'm not super grateful for Dave working so hard to get through school while working and supporting us. I'm sure I don't express it enough to him. So thanks, Dave. You're the bestest, hardest working man I know.

Dave is notoriously the lightest sleeper on the planet. You know he's pretty beat when he comes home from work for a quick lunch and change of clothes before going to school, sits down by Miles for a half a second and falls asleep.
In other Dave highlights:

As you probably know, Dave's parents are on a mission in Argentina for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I was reading him their email the other night and he told me to go look up some of his old emails he'd written home from his mission in Nashville, TN. Here's a couple goodies I particularly enjoyed:

"Well things are going well here. Yesterday we had a District meeting in Columbia we had to go to then we had our interviews afterwards. The meeting went well and the interviews went well. All were actually pretty boring. All meetings are starting to get extremely boring to me. It was a really boring interview and I think Pres is thinking that I've lost all faith here in the town and that I'm getting lazy. But I'm working just as hard as I did before so I'm not sure what gave him that idea. Maybe it was the bags under my eyes, the unpolished shoes, the minor slouch in the chair, the suit with spots on it, the gain of 30 lbs, or the receding hairline. I'm just an old missionary, what can I say? I was noticing how all the guys who I cam out with just look beat and tired. It feels so good to be tired from working hard for 2 years in the field."

"We've just been tracting a ton and we have a lot of funny things happen. We've seen giant black snakes that have scared the poop out of us, we've had a dog about kill us and eat us alive, then we even tripped someones house alarm. Fun stuff. Then we've had the random people drive by and scream out their window, 'DIE!' Oh the pure joys of missionary work."

I really enjoyed reading the last 8 or so emails of his mission. I think about what I was doing those years he was out there, working hard and completely devoted to missionary work... Senior year of high school (that's funny), college, Paris, too much flirting... FYI, Dave was married to me LESS THAN A YEAR after he wrote that email to his family. It was pretty funny looking back in his emails. Seriously, there is one email between the two of us from our extensive dating (4.5ish months). One. ONE! If you were learning about Dave's life from following his emails, you would get to that one email correspondence between me and him (where we were already engaged and going to get married in like 11 days or something) and you would be like "WHAT THE???" It's both funny and insane to me and the anomaly of our extremely brief courtship has yet to wear off. Good thing this thing is working out!

No comments: