I loved our ward in St. Paul. I'm more over it now, but after last Sunday, I was so very, very homesick for my St. Paul ward.
When I came out of Relief Society, I saw Miles up against the wall outside his classroom, teacher talking to him, Miles doing the hyperventilating crying breathing thing. FYI, Miles doesn't misbehave at church. Ever. We don't even take him out of sacrament meeting because he knows how he needs to act and I don't think he'd have the guts to act bad enough in Primary to be taken out. So I was like, "WOAH. What happened?" Anyway, his teacher took him out because Miles wasn't answering questions.
If you ask me, that sucks.
First of all, Miles is the new kid. That was our second Sunday in our new ward. Still really new.
Second of all, Miles is MILES. Mister extremely shy, introverted, quiet, comfort zone, observe-you-and-everything-in-sight for six months before he's absolutely sure he's comfortable and can trust you. And even after those six months, there's a pretty good chance he still won't participate or talk to you or give you five when you ask for it. He listens. He pays attention. But for whatever reason, he doesn't feel comfortable participating and isn't going to do something he doesn't feel like doing. Miles is a unique little kid. I know that. And I love him for it.
Though the teacher only had good intentions to talk to him or whatever, the poor kid was probably so confused and scared thinking he did something wrong and was in trouble.... after all, he did just get removed, isolated and singled out. That's a lot for a 3 year old, but especially a lot for MY 3 year old. I realize that group participation is a life skill Miles is going to have to learn. But age 3 and primary at church aren't the time and place I think he needs to be pressured into it. Bad experience.
So, I knew I was so grateful for Miles' wonderful primary teachers in MN, but now I love them more than anything in the world. I could never thank them enough for loving my little boy just the way he is and making primary such a good experience for him.
Miles loves his teachers. Especially Sister Pickering (left, pictured below). Every Sunday in MN, he'd locate her in sacrament meeting. Make sure she was there. He loves her.
And in true Miles fashion, for whatever reason (it would be insanely interesting to know his thoughts) he wouldn't really say goodbye to her or give her a hug. She scooped him up for this picture and you can see his first reaction:
Followed by his Miles self:
Those two pictures alone are such a true representation of Miles' personality. He's a happy, loving, sweet kid who likes to do things when he feels darn good and ready for it and he doesn't like to be the center of attention.
Anyway, thanks a million times over Sister Pickering and Sister Felt for being the bomb. We love you. We miss you.


1 comment:
We miss you guys. Sorry Miles had such a rough day. Poor kid.
Post a Comment