Monday, August 27, 2012

Meteors, My Fanny

A couple weekends ago, we went out as a family for some late night star gazing.  There was going to be a meteor shower and even though it would be a late night, we thought "what the hay" and went for it.  We drove out to some state park about an hour outside of Houston.  We had chairs, a blanket, snacks, a cooler, camera and tripod... we were totally prepared for a rip roarin' good time.

Not so successful on all counts.

Basically, it was hot, humid and lacking meteors.  Miles was seriously on CRACK and climbing all over us driving us crazy until 1am.  It was one of those experiences that is so sucky, you start joking and having giggle fits to fill the void.  We laid on our blanket that was damp from the humidity and our sweat and made jokes and laughed the night away.  In that way, it was a great memory maker.

Here are a few of my favorite conversations I recall from that night:

-Dave: "If Miles smashes my penis one more time I swear UGHMPHARGH" (sorry, I don't know how to spell the Miles-just-smashed-my-penis sound).

-Ash: "Note to self: next time..." Dave finishing my sentence: "...come when there's a meteor shower." 

-Miles, after the crowd "Ahs" at the single meteor in the last 30 minutes: "OH! Did I miss one?!"  (He didn't see a single meteor, nor was he ever looking at the sky, so it was funny)

Other than that, we just joked about all the ways we could shine lights directly into the eyes of the grumpy people who kept yelling at anybody who so much as looked at their cell phone.  I think we gave up around 1am or shortly after.

And here are two crappy star pictures:
Yep.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Gotta love experiences so bad they're funny. Although it would have been cool to see an actual meteor shower. :)