Thursday, September 13, 2012

A Birth Story

So, you may have noticed that photography is a hobby of mine.  I haven't ever really wanted to turn it into a business for several different reasons.  But if I ever were to try to make a dime off of photography, I'd do birth stories.  Hands down.  The first time I saw a birth story from another photographer, I cried because it's so beautiful and I thought, "That is genius."

A few weeks ago, I got to photograph the birth of the prettiest little baby girl.  I asked this baby girl's mama if I could photograph her labor and delivery the very day I met her; I'm so glad she said yes!  It was such a privilege.  I'm pretty sure I cried just as much if not more than any single person in the room.  There is nothing in this world like a baby being born.  What an experience!

If you haven't heard of or seen birth photography before, I know your reaction.  I've seen it and heard it, but I hope you'll look at these pictures.  There are no, you know... PARTS, but I did photograph a baby being born.  It's safe, I promise.  And it's beautiful, if you ask me.

Maria did an awesome job and Matt was so attentive and gentle and kind.  She calls him Matty.  He calls her Mo.  They made Libby.  So glad I got to record it.























































Y'all are about to see a baby.  FYI.

































Beautiful.

8 comments:

Tiffany Fackrell said...

These are awesome Ash. and that mom is drop dead gorgeous all while in labor and birthing a baby. seriously, I hope she knows that! They seem like a really really sweet couple. Was this their first?

Kristi said...

Uh. Mazing. You ought to do this for moola. Seriously. I love the shot of the baby looking peaceful laying on the mom. Lovely.

mike and chelsea said...

ashley! these are beautiful! you are a seriously talent lady! sooooooo, let's not talk about how lame and absent i have been in the blogging world the past year. it has been such a whirlwind first year of law school + move back to provo to finish law school here + we are having a baby (which means 4.5 months of throwing up and counting). anyway, here is a few things: 1- congrats dave on graduation! 2- miles is getting so big and is so freaking cute! 3- back in houston?! do you miss minneapolis or is houston the tops? (the legal market there is ginormous, we could very possibly end up there) 4- i miss you! maybe since i am so bad at blogging, we should start being text friends. just an idea.

Shannon said...

Wow. So amazing. Makes me want to go into labor right now! Babies are so incredible. And, yes, you would definitely be able to make a buck doing this if you ever wanted to. :)

Lisa Puga said...

Man! You are SO good! What a beautiful way to tell the story.

Kristin said...

Precious. Amazing. You did a wonderful job.

Marissa said...

dude. you're awesome.

jessica said...

I have always loved the idea of doing this, I wish I had done it! I feel like we documented C's adoption pretty well because I was behind the camera. I also LOVE the idea of documenting the end as well. I took pictures at my grandma's funeral and it felt so important to document it. When Aric's mom was dying I hated not being there. I knew there was nothing we could do but I wanted so badly to be there for her and make sure that her end was dignified and comfortable. My grandpa died before I was born. He was a photographer and there are a few pictures of him at the end. It's all we have because he was usually behind the camera...I am so grateful for them.