Saturday, September 11, 2010

For the Record

I can't believe we packed up and moved only two weeks ago. It seems like it's been longer.

I've never said anything about our life on this here blog these past few months.... It was all just so unknown and annoying and some other adjectives, I'm sure. So, here's the brief story:

So, you may or may not know that Dave was attending Washington State University to get a Masters degree in health policy and administration. Whoopee! It was a great gig-- he had a full ride and a job. His professor worked him into the ground his first semester, and it was real nice to have a Christmas break. When he went back to school in January, he started hearing about some major issues the program was having and things weren't looking good. For a long time it was totally unknown whether or not the program would get cut due to state funding or lose their accreditation, etc etc etc, blah blah blah. It was kind of a sucker punch to the gut to find out that it all just may fall apart. Given the circumstances, Dave applied to the University of Minnesota as a back up plan. If things really went south at WSU, hopefully he'd get in to UM and hopefully we'd have something to fall back on. He only applied to Minnesota because they are number 2 in the nation for healthcare administration and their poop basically smells like roses (#1 ranked Michigan had stinky poop). Dave said, "If I'm going to go somewhere else, it's going to be the best." So it was done. He applied. He got the last interview spot. He got accepted. And then it all got complicated.

From the time we found out he got in (04/08/2010) to the very second we left Dave debated over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over what to do. It was a real tough decision, and I'll spare you the details. Obviously he decided to come, and I only sort of kicked his butt out the door. So here we are. Minnesota. Reset minus 11 credits. Class of 2012. I'm 100% confident it will totally be worth it. Literally not a doubt in my mind.

We sure did have to pack up in a hurry, though. Even after we had our truck reserved, our deposit paid on our apartment in MN, Dave just about pulled the plug on the whole deal. It was Monday and our truck was supposed to be loaded on Wednesday and I went to Barnes and Noble by myself and sat on the floor reading children's books. By the end of that day I had totally come to terms with the fact that we were going to be staying in Idaho and at WSU and I was glad I hadn't packed anything. But the tables turned and the next week to week and a half were a whirlwind of insanity. We never could have done it without all the help we got. So thanks.

Toys are rubbish. All you need is a hose and some dirt.



This is what Miles did for I don't know how many hours while we packed up and loaded the truck.

We stayed the night at my parent's house and this was our last view of the lovely lake. And lots of gnats.

Our last view of Miles. He couldn't have cared any less that we were leaving. Grandma Sally is number one.

Dave, nervous and scared beyond all get out, about to dry heave.

Throughout this process, I dubbed Dave's brain his "toilet." He thought about the same crap every waking moment of every day, but couldn't ever come to a conclusion. No flush. So there he is, spinning around in his toilet.

Bye bye, Idaho. Bye bye, West.

We stopped in Belfield, ND. Thanks to my sister, Lindsey, we scored this motel.

We were a little scared of the possibilities at first, but it was shockingly clean, and we were so exhausted we were never happier to see a bed. We were especially happy to see two. Seriously, we each took one.


This, my friends, is the great state of North Dakota.

Home of the largest collection of steel art statues or something or other.

Sunflower fields. Everywhere.

Occasional.... mountains?


Take a good look at it, because it may be your only opportunity to see the LARGEST COW IN THE WORLD.

I really don't know the details... but there you go.


Bad day to be a butterfly.

I didn't take a single picture through the whole state of Montana-- don't know why. Maybe because I've driven through parts of it so often. Montana is beautiful. Dave and I were shocked in North Dakota. There were like 10 million times more people populating it than I ever expected to see from the freeway. And Bismarck looked like a downright nice city. Go North Dakota.

Ah, Minnesota. Home sweet home.
We pulled up with all this...

...needing to fit into one of those. People were looking at us like we were stark naked. We felt so incredibly dumb. (For the record, we didn't fill that truck, but it was a better deal than the smaller truck.)

Pretty awesome looking places, though, right? We walked in and were like, "Let's go back to the Cowboy Inn." I'm so bummed I didn't take any pictures of our place when it was piled to the ceiling with boxes. Now that I've made it all livable you won't even feel bad for me. But you know, every time we pull up to the complex Miles starts saying, "Ome" (home) in his adorable little sing song voice. And he's right. It is home, and it's a heck of a lot better than a box or a dumpster. Even more than a heck-- it's way better than those. I'm ashamed that we were ever such spoiled brats.

Anyway, it's been a long, exhausting, challenging few months. But, I for one, am so glad we are here. Our family is going to have so many opportunities to learn and grow. We are already needing to grow in patience since you can't stand to be in the kitchen or bathroom with more than half of yourself. Oh, but it makes me laugh already. This is the stuff memories are made of. And, I have complete confidence in my husband, his abilities, and the fact that his poop will also start to smell like roses because he now attends the big bad U of M, and all this is going to be beyond worth it. You're the best, Dave. I love you. Lots.

5 comments:

jessica said...

Now that you have been properly introduced to ND you can really appreciate why Aric is the way he is...I wished you would have told us your plans, you could have stayed with my aunt and uncle in Bismarck! BTW you really need to watch my cousin's tribute to ND I posted it a few weeks ago...anyways, I'm glad you are settling in and that Dave can finally flush that crap out of his brain ;) miss you guys!

Marissa said...

Good post with good pictures. Tell Dave good luck with school!

Rayna said...

What crazy happenings. What a good attitude you have though, not sure I could do the same!

So I saw this place on Food Network the other day and thought of you guys.

http://www.kramarczuk.com/Restaurant/Restaurant.html

Not that Polish food makes me think of you, just that it's in Minneapolis and I thought, Hey Dave and Ashley are there. So you should eat there and tell me if it's good. Well, if it looks good to you that is. :)

And, Lizzy, Doyle, Logan, and Andy said...

Good Story, thanks for sharing! Congratulations!

Lindsey said...

I am excited about you being in Minnesota! I really like this place. This program has blown me away. We're excited for your family to be a part of it! Happy I got to run into you today at Target (my 2nd home). Let us get together soon & do something. Anything!