Sunday, March 6, 2011

A bit of AZ and a lot of mom talk

Hardly any of AZ, actually. I'm pretty disappointed in the lot of pictures I came home with. I mean, I like them, but they are lacking majorly. I don't have a single picture of Miles with my parents or my grandma, or of the stuff he did everyday like playing at the park and riding in the bike stroller. And you know what? Isn't that glass half empty? I think I'm waaaay more negative than I'd like or realize or admit or whatever. So, let me fill that glass right up with some pictures I did get. Just from the first day and a half, really.

When I said it was nice to see some non-flat terrain, I wasn't joking. What you see above is my definition of flat. If yours is any different, I'd be delighted to know what it is.


Miles wanted to watch "Cars" before the plane even took off on the way out, but didn't want to watch anything on the way back. He was totally perfect on both flights.


AZ welcomed us with a beautiful sunset.

The army men were one of the first toys Miles wanted to play with.

Using his neck/crane to see them way up there.


So careful.

So brave looking.


So cute looking.

Seriously, when I went through this group of pictures tonight, I just looked at my sweet little boys' adorable face and let myself melt. I've been in a crappy rut as a mom lately. I don't know what changed or what happened, but I've just found myself being ultra annoyed at Miles lately. Instead of just watching him with delight all day, noticing how cute his mouth is or how big he's getting, I've just been wanting a break from him. I feel so rotten about it all. It's just selfishness on my part. And I think this 700 sq. foot jail is getting to us. And the crap that is the weather. And the whole single parent bit since Dave is so so so busy and never home. And Miles never takes a nap these days. And I feel like I have to watch him all the time because what if he pees his pants?

But dog gone it, he's getting so big! I have to enjoy it while I have it. I'm a bit beside myself because I have been so pleased with motherhood. I'm the mom that dropped everything and gave 110% to her baby and loved everything about it. I'm sorry, was I still married back then? Poor Dave. Anyway, I feel like I went from one end to the other, and now I'm looking for the middle. Miles is such a pleasure, I have no reason to be annoyed that he takes like 2 freakin hours to eat a lunch while I remind him constantly to eat, or that he wants to play and play and play and be wild at bed time and stall by saying he has to go poop, but really he's just milking time by sitting on the toilet not pooping or needing to poop. Those things are so normal. He is such a good little boy. He's so happy and fun loving and still laughs at the drop of a hat like he always has. He would seriously be content for 24 hours straight playing on my bed. I'm so lucky to have him and be his mom.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

I cannot believe how flat that city is!!! I've never seen anything like it.

As for motherhood, well it can be hard. I think you're lucky to have found so much joy in it so far. I had such a hard time finding happiness as a mother. It doesn't mean I don't love my kids, but I have a short fuse some days and sometimes wish I was the one heading off to work in the morning and kissing the kids goodbye. Ian has had periods of time where he has worked long long hours and those times are extra hard. There is a reason there should be 2 parents! Anyway, I'm sure this phase will pass. Try not to be too hard on yourself!

jessica said...

He does look so big all of the sudden! Welcome to real motherhood...isn't it a fun roller coaster. It's amazing that you have such a long run of good mothering!

joyous said...

Yes, he looks big and he looks so much like his dad in that first picture!! Can't believe it. Don't be too hard on yourself, I think a lot of it has to do with the crummy weather and tiny apartment you're in. Hang in there!!

mike and chelsea said...

hello lady! where to start?!

amen to the crappy weather. i think everyone from south dakota to minnesota is starting to suffer from seasonal affective disorder. it's so freaking cold and bleak. i need a break. i need some sun.

we should definitely see each other when we move to the other side of the state. mike will be a first year law student, which from what i've gathered means i will see him for a few hours a week. i'm still coming to terms with that mentally. you'll have to give me some pointers. i'm pretty sure minneapolis is only 3-4 hours from where we'll be. i'm in.

that's funny that you remembered the "look right at my name tag" thing. and i swear i didn't say coat like a minnesotan (the accent is horrendous). but i probably did. i never thought i spoke like i was from utah, and now that we've moved, i've caught myself saying equally or more horredous things such and "mell" for mail. or "fill" for feel. gross.

i don't know if this is horrible to admit, becuase my baby is so sweet and easy, but he's recently been unbelievably clingy, like i can hardly get a shower in without him freaking out, and so i know how you feel about needing a break somedays. motherhood is my favorite thing i've done so far. but it's probably the toughest too. i know you are the most amazing mom. speaking of, in that post dave did he wrote something about no tv. tell me more about that?

love you.