I've sort of created a picture monster. Not because he loves to have his picture taken, but because he won't do typical things most people do for a picture. The things I'm referring to include, but are not limited to:
-Hold still.
-Smile.
Of all the thousands (literally, thousands) of pictures I've taken of this kid, I've rarely asked him to sit just so and "smile." I've just let him do whatever he was doing and went for it. I don't regret it-- I like pictures when they are genuine and candid. But now it makes for a difficult time getting him to just take a quick picture. And he doesn't know how to smile nicely, on demand.
Pretty much any time I want to take his picture, he just moves incessantly and makes silly faces and I just click, click, click away. And then we end up with too many pictures.
Case in point below. But first, let me tell you a bit about Miles at this time of his life.
I don't really know where to start, because I can't remember what all I've jotted down about him on here over the last couple years....
Miles is the most amazing little kid there ever was. He's such a pleasure. Kindergarten took a lot of his awesomeness away-- I think each day was just so long and tiring-- he wasn't his usual incredibly cheerful self. But now that school has been out for a few weeks, it's been incredible to have him back, full force Miles. He's super smart, but Kindergarten made him a little less smart when it comes to math. Before he started school, he had an uncanny ability to do addition and subtraction in his head. Like I'm saying, you could ask him, "What is 15 + 22?" and he would deliver the correct answer in 30 seconds or less. It was really amazing to watch. Then he went to school and I guess he started modeling after his teacher and whatever method she was teaching and it sort of messed up whatever awesome, natural thing he had going in his head. That was kind of a bummer to see. What can you do? I'm sure it will all even out in the end.
Miles will tell anyone and everyone that he doesn't like school. I pretty much believe him, and therefore I'm thankful he didn't fight going or try to stay home. I was absolutely shocked on the last day of school when I picked him up and he didn't seem elated. While we were walking to our car I was asking him if he was excited school was out for the summer and he got his adorable fighting-back-emotions bottom lip and told me he was going to miss everyone. He is such a tender, sensitive little soul.
He is still crazy passionate about hockey. He has a great wealth of knowledge about the sport, teams and players and has no idea how cool his mom is. All the time he asks me who [insert random hockey players' name here] plays for and while he knows significantly more NHL hockey players than I do, I do pretty good. I hope he will be able to remember and appreciate some day that his old mom knew a thing or two about sports.
Miles also loves cars. He likes NASCAR! Can you believe that?! Pretty sure his favorite driver is Jimmy Johnson. He has way too many hotwheels cars and we totally brainwashed him to only choose real cars. So he's a snob and all his cars are replicas of real cars, not the silly made up ones. He sets up races and drives his cars around our couch all the time. 100% of his play time is spent playing hockey (or another sport-- baseball, soccer, but primarily hockey) or racing cars. There is no doubt that this kid gets enough physical activity, despite our not having a yard or much accessibility to outdoor play. He also really loves games and is crazy competitive. Get him and Dave playing something together and it's sure to end in arguing and/or tears. Dave's a real baby ;).
He still loves music, but I'd say he's less obsessive than he used to be. He always wants it on and he would absolutely always pick what we listened to if we let him. We have to be careful these days, because he's really listening to lyrics. Listening to music is by no means a mindless, background type of activity for Miles. Yikes.
He loves swimming.
He loves Dove chocolate.
He would never eat a chicken nugget but he'll down an artichoke. I'll take that.
He's unbelievably literal. It can be pretty frustrating. One night we were trying to teach him the difference between general and specific. Dave told him to "walk to the other side of the room," and the kid stood there in frustration and pointed out that there was more than one wall and wouldn't go without being told which side of the room. No joke. Very specific, that Miles. He gets really frustrated when he doesn't understand something straight away.
He has the most adorable freckles. Dave worries about them and tells me (covered in freckles) that freckles don't age well (uh huh, thanks), and tells me to lather on the sunscreen, but I think they are adorable on him.
He's incredibly understanding and considerate and kind. Like if I'm sick or something, he's so good to me and lets me take a nap or plays quietly or whatever he can do to help.
He still loves to laugh, as ever.
He really loves Dave and I. He really is just a super happy kid, and we really love him.
So here he is, 5 years and 8 months old, before he got glasses and before he lost his second tooth. Love you, buddy.

































No comments:
Post a Comment