Ladies and gents, we totally struck gold with Miles. He is such an amazing and special little kid. I'm always feeling like I don't deserve him. He's too good for me. Lately, there has been a steady flow of things happening and things coming home from school that I think need to be recorded. All the instances in this post span from about October-January.
Starting with October-- October 12, 2014 to be exact-- Dave was reading scriptures on our couch and Miles decided he wanted to join him. He got a little Book of Mormon we have and opened it up to Alma 30something and started reading.
Starting with October-- October 12, 2014 to be exact-- Dave was reading scriptures on our couch and Miles decided he wanted to join him. He got a little Book of Mormon we have and opened it up to Alma 30something and started reading.
The very day and time I just told you about.
Dave and I didn't really expect much to come from it, but Miles kept reading in the coming days. Waking up early to do so, in fact. When I would go to wake him up in the morning, this is what I would find:
That's Miles, ready for school, reading the Book of Mormon.
Once he started reading the Book of Mormon, all things church really kind of took off for Miles. He started teaching the girl he sat next to in class.... boy, do I wish I could have been a fly on that wall! He didn't tell me everything for sure (he never does), but I was blown away at what I got out of him. He taught her what the Book of Mormon is (something along the lines of it being about "old times" and teaches about Jesus and helps us make good choices. He specifically told me he didn't use the words "choose the right" because he thought she might not know what that means. Hello! Holy cow, awareness.), what a prophet is and how Nephi went and got the brass plates from Laban and cut off his head. He also told her to tell her dad to stop drinking alcohol. I was pretty much waiting for an angry parent to tell me to get my kid under control. We did talk with him about not telling people what they can and can't do to which he responded, "I'm just trying to make her a Mormon. I'm just trying to help the church of Jesus Christ grow!" He had a plan for what he was going to teach her next (Sabbath day observance) but never went through with it. I think the don't-tell-people-what-they-can-and-can't-do talk kind of extinguished his little flame. :( It was actually very inspiring to see his fearless, disregard/unawareness of societal norms/boundaries and how he just went for it. Unreal.
Around Thanksgiving time/November, I went to the school to help out with roller skating and his teacher approached me and told me what Miles had written he was thankful for and how it pretty much blew her socks off. She hugged me, teared up, did a hands up in the air "Thank you, Jesus" and texted her pastor to tell him about it.
Here it is:
"Otomnent" (Atonement)
"Jesus"
"Gospul"
"Hockey"
It's so Miles that hockey is right up there with all those very important things. His teacher asked me if Dave is a pastor... It was great to see and know that the things Miles is learning at home and at church are staying with him.
Then these turkeys were on the wall:
Miles' says, "I am thankful for the Book of Mormon. I am thakful for Crismis. I am thakful for Hockey." Little does he know he introduced our beliefs in the best possible way: Jesus Christ and His Atonement being number one. Mormons are Christians. Way to go, Miles.
This came home in January. It says, "I'm gana read the Book of Mormon more."
Below is from Martin Luther King, Jr. studies:
It says, "My dream is to make more people Mormons, by preaching the Gospul."
The picture he drew is of a missionary about to knock on a door. That's a blue Book of Mormon attached to his hip. Pretty great, if you ask me.
Miles told me that his teacher read all of the kids' dreams aloud to the class, but wouldn't read his aloud. She just told the kids they'd have to read it themselves. I never asked her about it, but it would be interesting to know exactly why. Miles just thought it was really cool.
Needless to say, Miles has been really amazing us. He finished the Book of Mormon earlier this month, I think on 2/2/15, and has since started over so he can read it from the beginning this time. He's 6 years old. I just really wonder what this kid is meant for because he truly is unique and special. It's like my mom said to me one time, "Maybe when they were passing out baby cards in heaven you said, 'I'll just take that ONE REALLY good one.'" Maybe I did, because I sure got one really good one.








No comments:
Post a Comment