It was just DAM for Thanksgiving 2014. We thought about going to a soup kitchen or something, but I was able to do some research and found the perfect activity for our family on Thanksgiving: Meals on Wheels. We got up bright and early and went to a church parking lot to pick up a route and some meals to deliver to some home bound folks living in Houston.
It was an adventure for sure. I felt the whole spectrum of emotion: fear (like OMG, we are going to get shot type fear), gratitude, discomfort, laughter, sadness, joy and when it was all over, just an overwhelming feeling of love. It was a great experience and I'm glad we were able to do something like that with Miles.
As soon as we got off the freeway and saw where we were going our stomachs kind of sank. I hadn't been to this part of Houston and while I've been through some pretty scary and ghetto parts of this city, this one topped them all. By a lot. We pulled up to the first house and didn't feel much better when we saw these signs:
I blurred out the swearing should Miles ever read this... it says, "Dont be a B***** and lose your life around this house!!! You will get yo a** blown away!"
This one says, "If you are caught anywhere around this house the undertaker will be here to pick your a** up. Or!!! The city of Houston."
We were like, "Uhhhhhh, Miles, you stay in the car." Then this little lady came to the door. Whew!
We had a good laugh.
We only delivered to 3 homes and the last one was the best. The lady was so overwhelmed and extremely thankful and emotional. Dave put his arm around her and she laid her head right on his chest. It was sweet and sad and overwhelming. Whenever we are in a situation like this, I'm so glad Dave is there. He's great with people and so kind and giving and courageous in uncomfortable situations. He's a good man. I'm really thankful we were able to do this and that Miles was able to see what life is like for a lot of people and watch his father's good example. Miles was fearless (or unaware, or both) and wanted to go to each house and help give them the food and card that came with the meal. It was just a great experience. If we are here in Houston for Thanksgiving 2015, we'll go again for sure.
In action:
Happy Thanksgiving from DAM FAM on Vimeo.
Thanksgiving in Houston from DAM FAM on Vimeo.


No comments:
Post a Comment