Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Four

Miles is four.  His birthday was on the 14th.

Four.  Jiminy Cricket.








I don't know how we got so lucky with Miles.  He's such a pleasure, and that's an understatement.  Every night when I lay down to bed I think about what an amazing little boy he is, how I literally couldn't have it any easier as a mom, and how I still lose patience and make endless mistakes.  He's too good for me and I don't deserve him.  Deserving or not, he's mine, so I have to suck it up, believe in my mothering capabilities and commit to be a better mom the next day.  Children are so amazing.  How cruel this world would be without them.

Here are some facts about Miles right now:

-Super obsessed with music.  

I have to limit "music time" or else he would just sit in front of the computer and listen all day.  Literally.  I try to expose him to a wide variety, but he already has strong preferences.  A few of his favorites include: Arcade Fire, Death Cab for Cutie, Matt and Kim, Coldplay, Of Monsters and Men, The Postal Service, Black Keys, XX, the Les Mis soundtrack and Mumford & Sons.  He knows all of them-- what number each song is, how many songs are on a certain cd, what the cd cover looks like... it's like I said-- super obsessed.  He can navigate the amazon cloud player where we keep all our music too.  It's nuts.

-Mr. Obedient/Rule follower.  

With all the music he loves, we read through all the lyrics before we let him listen and tell him which songs he has to skip.  He follows this rule with strict obedience, no questions asked.  

One day we were at the pool and a kleenex blew out of our pool bag.  I said, "uh-oh a kleenex just blew out of our bag."  Miles, who usually acts like he's going to die when he has to walk on the hot ground, didn't hesitate, got out of the pool, ran to get the kleenex and put it back in our bag.  When he got back in the pool he said to me, "that's what you should have dood."  Busted.

While this is such a great quality Miles has, it can be an issue when combined with his OCDness.  He has a hard time watching other kids break rules or do things differently than what he thinks or what he's been taught.  Maybe he'll be a cop.  Or maybe he'll lock his doors 32 times every night before he goes to sleep.  We'll see!

-Happy/Big time laugher.  

We cleaned out our car a little bit after we moved here and Miles was laughing hysterically at all the stuff we had in the car-- mittens, water bottles, papers, ice scraper.  That may sound like pretty normal stuff to you, but to Miles it was gut splittingly hilarious.  It's contagious and he's the best.

-Will only poop stark naked-- so annoying.

-Still hates tags-- you'd think they are snakes.

-Smarty pants.

-Remembers EVERYTHING.

-Loves to play games.

-Wants to be a chef, a dad and a pilot when he grows up.

Thanks for being such a great kid, Miles.  We love you.



2 comments:

Shannon said...

What a cutie. I vote he grows up to be all 3. Also, his music tastes are surprisingly awesome. You know, for a 4 year old. :)

jessica said...

FOUR. WOW! What a cute kid. He sounds a lot like Eden except she is a girl so she comes with DRAMA. I hope Houston is treating you good my friend :)