Thursday, October 2, 2014

The Mullet

Ugh.  Somewhere, somehow, Dave convinced Miles that mullets are the most awesome thing in the world.  Miles especially bought what Dave was selling when Dave told him hockey players used to have them and Patrick Kane of the Chicago Blackhawks even had one not long ago.  Then it was game over.  In a moment of extreme weakness, I consented to allow Miles to have a mullet for about a week, but I made Dave cut it.

Here he is, pretty stoked to be sporting his mullet: 
 On an unrelated note and a crappy side story: I took this picture of Miles literally about 10 minutes before we responded to awful screams outside our front door that brought us to the knowledge that there was a suicide committed (young female med student) on the other side of one of our shared walls (7/10/14).  It was a really awful situation and experience.  Dave consoled the neighbor (her boyfriend and also young med student) and called 911 while I put Miles to bed and made sure he never looked out the windows to see all the cop cars and ambulance, caution tape, etc.  He kept asking me what happened and I just told him I didn't know.  He said, "I wonder why our neighbor is panicking."  I was taken back by his use of the word "panicking" and said, "That's exactly what our neighbor is doing.  Where did you learn that word?"  He responded in a cheerful and proud voice, "Elementary school."

It really was such a terrible experience.  Watching all the clean up (Hazmat team) over the next few days kept it fresh and real and awful.  I was so thankful Miles and I got to leave town a few days after it happened.  I felt so unsafe (Houston ain't safe, y'all) and uncomfortable and couldn't get the whole situation or new found silence out of my head.  I replayed every noise I heard on the other side of wall that day and I know exactly when those noises stopped.  Dave was even closer to the situation; he couldn't shake the feeling of our neighbor convulsing and crying on his shoulder and his grip on Dave.  He couldn't un-hear his screams or un-see the look on his face.  I was sad that Dave had to be home alone so soon after it happened, but I honestly don't know how long it would have taken me to deal with that situation if I didn't have the chance to get away from it for 2.5 weeks.  It weighed on me for the first several days of my trip, but faded.  It will always be there, but we've been able to resume daily life.  We look forward to the day we can move. 

Back to the mullet:
Here he is another day with it done all ridiculous.
Dave and Miles still beg me for another mullet every time we do hair cuts, but I'm feeling really strong these days.  So don't plan on seeing one ever again.

No comments: