Dave and I haven't made it through all these years of poverty by being big spenders. No, no. We are big time penny pinchers.
I'll never forget the day I realized the value of money. Nineteen, newly married, crappiest job of all time (Promark Research aka telemarketer- Rexburg, ID). Dave and I both worked there until we could land better jobs. Thankfully, we were in school so it was only in the evenings. Anyway, we went to the grocery store after work one night and bought like 30 bucks worth of groceries and Dave said to me, "All that work you just did? Gone." Just as shocking that it may be to you that it took until that time of my life to really understand the value of money, it was more shocking of a realization to me at that moment. All at once, I got it. I really got it. Ouchy.
Dave and I collectively despise spending money on greeting cards. Why not just give the intended recipient a couple bucks with a note? They're just going to throw the card away, anyway, and if they don't, they have way too much crap they are hanging on to for no good reason.
At the end of our moving day, we made a run to Walmart-- you know the drill. The greeting cards were right as we walked in. Lucky for us, I remembered, "hey, your dad's birthday was like a week ago, we need to send him a card" (we are really awesome and thoughtful). So Dave and I start browsing and turn simultaneously to each other with our winning cards, and the beginning of an overly exhausted laughing fit. My card: high school graduation. Dave's card: see for yourself.
I'll never forget the day I realized the value of money. Nineteen, newly married, crappiest job of all time (Promark Research aka telemarketer- Rexburg, ID). Dave and I both worked there until we could land better jobs. Thankfully, we were in school so it was only in the evenings. Anyway, we went to the grocery store after work one night and bought like 30 bucks worth of groceries and Dave said to me, "All that work you just did? Gone." Just as shocking that it may be to you that it took until that time of my life to really understand the value of money, it was more shocking of a realization to me at that moment. All at once, I got it. I really got it. Ouchy.
Dave and I collectively despise spending money on greeting cards. Why not just give the intended recipient a couple bucks with a note? They're just going to throw the card away, anyway, and if they don't, they have way too much crap they are hanging on to for no good reason.
At the end of our moving day, we made a run to Walmart-- you know the drill. The greeting cards were right as we walked in. Lucky for us, I remembered, "hey, your dad's birthday was like a week ago, we need to send him a card" (we are really awesome and thoughtful). So Dave and I start browsing and turn simultaneously to each other with our winning cards, and the beginning of an overly exhausted laughing fit. My card: high school graduation. Dave's card: see for yourself.
Like I said, I think we're on to something. This feels like a good tradition in the making. It will be like a box of chocolates! You never know what you're gonna get.
3 comments:
That sounds like something my husband would do :)
I am a big believer in cards that are totally inappropriate for the occasion. I remember getting a "Congrats on the new baby!" card for my 16th birthday. Perfect. :)
I guess I "have way too much crap [I am] hanging on to for no good reason."
Post a Comment