Monday, September 27, 2010

Story Time

When I was a kid (10? 11? 9? I really don't know) I got bit by a Black Widow Spider. I got bit on my arm, like right around where your triceps are. I was with my family in the hot tub and my armpit started to hurt a lot. So, my mom sent me inside and I took a shower and got in pajamas and fell asleep on my parents' bed with my painful armpit. I woke up a little bit later with awful waves of pain going through my body. I could feel the pain start at my head and go all through my body-- nice and slow. My back was the worst.

I don't know what time my parents took me to the ER. I'm not one to want to draw attention to myself, but I remember just crying and writhing around in the ER waiting room in front of everybody else and feeling embarrassed about it. Then when we finally saw a doctor I found some sort of courage deep down inside and held it together for him. Bad idea. I got a shot of morphine? Not sure if that was the drug or not, but I remember the doctor saying, "She should sleep like a baby." I did sleep, but I was awake with lots of pain again too soon.

It was family reunion time, and I was all drugged up on Vicodin. I remember my sister Lindsey laughing about whatever I was doing or however I was acting, but I mostly just slept and ate and cried out in pain like a baby.

We took the family reunion to Oxnard, CA. The car ride to Oxnard sucked. I remember I was in so much pain and just constantly complaining about it. We put my seat down to try and help, and when we finally got to Oxnard, we found out that my cousin Steven's legs had been smashed by my seat the whole time. Bummer. Sorry, Steve.

We stayed in a beach house or something, and my good cousin Emmy sat on the couch with me and watched TV while the poison kept working it's way out of my body. The pain lasted for a good week, and towards the end it stopped doing waves through my body and would stay put in one spot for a half a day or so until the last place I felt the pain was in my toes and then it was gone.

Obviously, I lived. But I hate spiders. Sometimes I can pull the same braveness out of nowhere like I did for the doctor and smash one with a shoe or something, but if anyone else is around to do the dirty work, I'm a big, fat wussbag.

Every single one of the pictures below make me shudder. Every time I look at them and also when I took them-- shudder. But I couldn't resist...








Do you shudder too?

6 comments:

Marissa said...

Yes I do! And I love the pictures! great exposure on those.

Rayna said...

Gosh, I hate them too. Some of the biggest spiders I've ever seen have been here in Utah. I swear there was one in our house the other day the size of my palm.

Emily said...

Why did you take those pictures?! Those spiders are mean looking. And I totally remember you laying on the couch the whole time but I don't remember Stevie's legs getting crushed, that's really funny.

Jessica said...

If you can get bit by a Black Widow and live to tell the tale (or write the post) than you can certainly live in that little apartment, right? You're that tough.

Sally said...

It was oceanside.

Tasha said...

Okay, Black Widows are my fear. Now I am even more freaked! I have killed 3 (yes 3) in my garage in the past couple months. And that is where I do laundry. I just about die every time I go out there. Now you have me even more parinoid. Oh, that just sounds horrible.