Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Seattle

Well, we never went to Seattle the first time we lived in the Northwest, so this time around it was a must. When we first drove in, I have to say I was a little underwhelmed because of all the docking crane looking things on the south side of the city. Seattle didn't let me down, though-- I thought it was awesome! I really, really liked it. The whole super green and beautiful effect wasn't there because we arrived from the same kind of climate. Also, coming into Portland through the Columbia River Gorge in the Spring may just be unbeatable. That was fantastic. I think Portland is a prettier city, but I really enjoyed Seattle. Some things I picked up on: recycling-- everywhere; tons of smokers!; great food.

Dave took a half day on a Friday and we went straight to the Mariners v Red Sox game.
Safeco was a cool ball park.

Soaking it in.

The weather was totally perfect that night.

We were alllllllll the way at the top of the ball park, so Miles had room to roam.


The sweeper peeps stopped and did a choreographed dance...

Miles totally loved being at the game. However, he would always comment on how loud it was.

Ichiro and his unique stance. We, along with 20,000 other fans, scored some sweet shirts that bare his name. You'll probably see me in it in a coming post. Get excited.
DAM fam.


Red Sox won and it was fun. We like going to baseball games.

The following onslaught of pictures is from Pike Place, which was definitely my favorite part:












This guy pulled out a huge fish right before I took this picture, so I got all ready to take a picture of a huge fish being pulled out of a box... but it was just a bag of clams.




Those are all retro sodas. We got some that we'd never tried before and in the end I wished I'd gone with the one and only Henry Weinhard's. Mmmmm.

This guy was amazing. And funny. He's playing a harmonica, balancing a guitar on his chin (and strumming it once in a while), playing a guitar, doing two hula hoops, and shaker things on his feet. We ate delicious grilled cheese sandwiches from Beechers (super tasty) while we watched this guy. Dave never gives money to street performers, but this guy earned a buck.

We took the ferry out to Bainbridge Island:
The view.

Miles really loved being on such a big boat and watching the cars and motorcycles and bikers drive on and off the ferry.

Those are the docking crane looking things I mentioned before. You ask a stranger to take a picture and instead of skyline you get cranes. Or whatever they are. Is it that hard to look through a viewfinder?



We also ate some great seafood and wish we would have dished out the dough to do the museum of flight on our way back. Live and learn. Two thumbs up for Seattle!

2 comments:

Jones Family said...

That looks amazing. I need to go there!

Rayna said...

Glad you guys had a good time! Please do a food post on what you ate! Love the pictures.